History of Alleghany Highlands Regional Library
The inspiration to open a library in the area grew out of a 1926 bequest to the citizens of Alleghany County and Covington of 750 books from the estate of Charles P. Jones, a prominent Covington attorney. In 1929, the Library, with financial assistance from Covington, rented a room at 423 Maple Avenue. Because of overcrowding and increasing demand for services, the Library moved in 1931 to the Parish Building, and again in 1947 to the Jeter Watson School.
In 1943, Alleghany County sealed the library-city-county partnership by entering into an agreement with the Library; as a result, the Charles P. Jones Memorial Library became a regional library, serving the residents of Alleghany County and Covington.
By 1963, again because of increasing use and the need to add more and more books to the collection, a larger facility became necessary to serve the residents both Alleghany County and the city of Covington. In April 1963, a committee of dedicated local citizens launched what would become a successful fund-raising drive for a new building. In November 1964, the new building located on Riverside Street was dedicated.
As the late 1990’s approached, the Library once again experienced growing pains. With space filled to capacity and an infrastructure that could not support the technological demands of the 21st century, another capital campaign was planned. With state, local government, private foundation, and overwhelming public contributions, the Library proceeded with a long dreamed of expansion project. On June 31, 2002, the “Doors to Discovery” were opened to reveal the Charles P. Jones Memorial Library, tripled in size, wired for the technology of the future, and ready to fulfill the educational, informational and technological needs of the community.